Summer = Birds, Bugs, and a Bear!

Dickcissel

 

Birding has been pretty slow lately, so I've sort of switched to finding and photographing insects such as moths, butterfly's, and any other interesting bugs that I happen to come across. I also recently signed up with iNaturalist.org, a site where I can post all my observations of any birds, bugs, plants, mammals, etc.   

 

Now on to the highlights!

 

Heard my FOY Yellow-billed Cuckoo singing on June 1st.

Found a singing Blue-winged Warbler on June 5th. My second of the year, and the first one that gave me good photos!


 

Finally! My FIRST EVER Golden-winged Warbler!!! It hang around for a couple weeks and gave me great photos!

 

Got my FOY Veery on June 7th.

Saw my second Upland Sandpiper of the year on June 8th.

Had my yard lifer Northern Shovelers fly over my yard on June 14! Also a late pair of Evening Grosbeaks and late Wilson's Warbler drop in for a visit.


 

On June 16th, I saw my FOY Bonaparte's Gull flying over Miller Lake (the actual lake).

 Heard my FOY Wood Thrushes singing on June 26th.

Heard a singing Grasshopper Sparrow on June 27th. My second of the year!

June 28th: My bird of the Month... a singing male Dickcissel!!! I was just walking around, hoping to find an interesting bird to photograph, when I heard what I thought sounded like a Dickcissel. And the next evening I got views to confirm! To this day, the bird still sings continuously from its new territory, which is in the field right across from our house!

Here are the photos that I took...








June 30th: I was showing a couple birders the Dickcissel, when an adult Peregrine Falcon flew in and put on an epic show of killing a gull! I was so engrossed in the scene that I never thought of taking a video. Darn!

 

A non-bird highlight on June 20th was my sighting of a Black Bear! As I was walking around, searching for the Golden-winged Warbler, the Black Bear just walked out of the bush about 15 feet from me! It then stopped and stared it me for a few seconds before dashing back into the woods!



 I have been busy with work lately, so I haven't had much time for birding. But I have recently developed an interest in moths, especially the larger species. You can view a few of my recent sightings HERE.


Well, that's it for now! Here are some photos....


Chestnut-sided Warbler
 
 

I entered this photo in a weekly photography contest and won! 


 American Mink


 Eastern Milksnake


Ovenbird
 

Magnolia Warbler
 

Song Sparrow
 

Cedar Waxwing

 

 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts