Some Recent Winter Birding

 

 

Been a few months since my last post, but really there hasn't been much to post about anyways. I have a grand total of 43 species for Ontario and 30 species for my yard this year, which is lower then my last years totals. But It'll only be a week or 2 before the early spring migrants start making their way up to Bruce in larger numbers.

Anyways, some of my winter bird highlights where a single Hoary Redpoll in the yard; a single Glaucous Gull in Owen Sound; a single Bohemian Waxwing in my yard; two Golden Eagles which were both only a few kilometres from home; and lots of finches including Common Redpolls, White-winged Crossbills, and Pine Grosbeaks everywhere in Bruce this winter.

So that is it for now. If it wasn't for the finches that irrupted into Southern Ontario for the winter, this would be extremely boring couple months.

A longtime dream come true, of the many White-winged Crossbills I have seen this winter, a few flocks have been out foraging in the backyard recently, giving me some amazing views and photos! They are indeed very fascinating birds, and probably my favourite species of finch.

  Here are some pics from this winter...


White-winged Crossbills

 




 
 

Common Redpolls
 




 
 

Pine Grosbeaks 
 



 
 

Pine Siskin
 

 Ruffed Grouse
 

 Red-breasted Nuthatch


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts