Spring Birding in Bruce

 

Northern Parula

 

It's been way to long since my last post, but since then tons of migrating birds have passed through in large numbers. This year I am currently at 197 bird species for Ontario, and 172 species for the yard which is above average for me!

I have managed to see a few new species this year, which are a Common Gallinule in Hamilton, an overdue Virginia Rail in Dyer's Bay, a Lesser Scaup and Black-bellied Plover in Stokes Bay, and a very rare Western Tanager that was found at a feeder in Stokes Bay in late April! Only the 4th record for Bruce County. 

Western Tanager

Other semi-rare birds that I've seen this spring are the continuing Black Vulture that has visited my place for now 5 years straight, and a Northern Mockingbird that showed up in the yard for one evening.

But the best bird that I've seen this year is... a Tricolored Heron the I self-found in Dyer's Bay on May 19!!! Tricolored Herons are definitely one of the rarer herons that are found occasionally in Ontario, and until now there had been no confirmed records in Bruce County, so definitely the rarest bird I have ever self-found!


Now as for some of my other exciting birds since my last post, a Northern Saw-whet Owl that decided to roost next to the bird feeder in March is definitely near the top of the list! It let me get multiple shots of it during its one day stay.
 

Northern Saw-whet Owl
 
 

 I also managed to see a few Golden-winged Warblers this month, with one even letting me get close enough for some good shots!
 




Other none-rare, but exciting yard finds include a very late Iceland Gull, my second ever Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, my second ever yard Least Sandpiper, a migrating Northern Goshawk, and a lone Red Crossbill that made a quick flyover.



Now I'll finish this post with some more of my best shots from this spring!
 

Northern Parula
 

Blackburnian warbler
 
 
Indigo Bunting


Black-billed Cuckoo
 
 
Field Sparrow
 
 
Magnolia Warbler
 
 
Golden-crowned Kinglet
 
 
Scarlet Tanager
 
 
Trumpeter Swan
 
 
White-throated Sparrow
 
 
Northern Flicker
 
 
Chipping Sparrow
 
 
Brown Thrasher
 
 
American Robin
 
 
Fox Sparrow
 
 
Snow Bunting
 
 

Common Redpolls


Comments

Popular Posts