End of the Year Birding Review

Blue-winged Teal


2020 is coming to an end, so I thought it was time to write my annual birding review. I found lots of birds this year and took many awesome photos which you will see later in this post. You can also view more of them at eBird.org. Here is the link: eBird.org/Zane Shantz's Photos

This year I found 193 bird species, and I got my lifelist up to 208 species for Bruce County. I ended up being 3rd place for finding the most yardbirds in Canada, with 180 species! Listed below are a few uncommon bird highlights from this year. All the birds listed, except the Harlequin Duck, I found in and around my yard.    

Harlequin Duck:

I saw three individuals this year, 2 at Lion's Head (an immature male and an adult male) and 1 in Tobermory (adult male).  Unfortunately, I didn't get any good shots, but the adult male is still at Lion's Head, so if he sticks around for the winter I might go back for photos.  

Yellow-billed Cuckoo:

I heard 2 earlier in the year but I didn't get any views until October 1, when one popped up into view and I got a decent photo which I will add below.

  

Black Vulture:

And once again, for the third year straight, a Black Vulture flew by in mid April! Unfortunately, it was to distant too photograph but maybe next year.

 Golden Eagle:

Found three in the spring but almost missed out in the fall until I saw one flying South in late December.

 Northern Goshawk:

The first adult I had ever seen! Flew by during spring migration.

Northern Saw-whet Owl: 

A lifer (or life bird) for me, it stuck around from late February into early March. I only got brief views at night when it flew over me a couple times, but the Owl was making its familiar call. But on December 28, I found one roosting in my backyard!!! Here are the awesome shots I took!


 

Northern Mockingbird:

Second spring in a row that one has dropped in! Hung around for about a month.

 

Finches:

As I mentioned in Earlier posts, it is an eruption year for northern finches and I have seen hundreds fly by this fall. The rarer ones were Hoary Redpolls, White-winged Crossbills and Red Crossbills. Here are a few photos.


Red Crossbill (male)

White-winged Crossbill (male above, female below)
 
  
Lark Sparrow:

It was a huge surprise when this guy stopped by for a couple days in May, to enjoy the seeds at my bird feeder. Only the fifth(?) record for the Bruce.

 

Orchard Oriole:

Found four individuals this spring: An adult male, a couple females, and an immature male.

 

Here are my favourite photos from this year.



































Comments

  1. Great work. What camera are you using?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liam, I'm using the Canon 7d Mark 2 camera along with the Sigma 150-600mm contemporary lens.

      Delete
  2. Wow! Loving this. Congrats on the phone book photo.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts