March Migrants have Arrived!

 Here's a recap on my yard birding the last couple weeks.

 

  February 28:

I found my first of the year Golden-crowned Kinglets, an early Killdeer, and a couple Herring Gulls. I also happened to see a couple of Foxes too which was cool. 

 

 March 1st to 7th:

 I didn't see many spring birds, but a couple Snowy Owls, a Red-tailed Hawk, 11 Bohemian Waxwings, a Northern Saw-whet Owl, a Canada Goose, and a Great Horned Owl were a couple of highlights. 

 

 March 8th:

 I had my first Red-winged Blackbird of the year! Also had a flock of 6 Canada Geese flyover, and heard 2 Saw-whet Owls that evening! 

 

 March 9:

Felt like the first real day of spring! I got 24 bird species in my yard along with a few FOY's such as: Horned Lark, House Finch, American Goldfinch, and a Merlin! Other highlights included: 4 Red-winged Blackbirds, a Hoary Redpoll, and a Killdeer. 


March 10:

I awoke to find almost all the snow gone and a nice South wind blowing! As soon as I went outside I got my FOY American Robin and Brown-headed Cowbird! Later on in the day I found an early Rusty Blackbird and my FOY American Tree Sparrows and Ring-billed Gull.


March 11:

In the morning I got a FOY male Common Merganser flyby and a totally AWESOME adult Peregrine Falcon fly over breifly!!! According to eBird it is the earliest record of PEFA for Bruce County!           In the afternoon I got a few other FOY's such as: A Turkey Vulture, a couple of Mallards, and a couple of Eastern Meadowlarks.


  March 12 and 13: 

Didn't do much birding. Highlights include: A large mixed blackbird flock, the continuing Eastern Meadowlarks, a couple American Robins, and a flock of around 40 Common Redpoll.

 

Anyways, that's it for now! Here are a few photos...

 

Merlin
 

Eastern Meadowlark
 

Mourning Dove
 

Canada Geese
 

Peregrine Falcon
 

Herring Gull
 

Red Fox
 

Snowy Owl's





 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts